Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday, May 11th 'What If' Question


The monkey is off Jeff Gordon’s back.
After weeks of leading the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series points standings only to have it mean nothing, Gordon finally got his much wanted and needed win Saturday night in Kansas. In doing so the 42-year-old made it known that he feels 25 again and his Drive to End Hunger team are more than ready to chase a championship.
Gordon’s last championship came in 2001, under the Winston Cup banner. Since NASCAR has changed the format and title sponsor, the four-time champion has tried repeatedly to earn a Sprint Cup championship. Here again in 2014, Gordon has a solid foundation underneath him in order to make that happen.
And then there’s what it would mean. Just a few years ago many were ready to send him packing into retirement, mostly because Gordon had begun to acknowledge the toll racing was taking on his body. Specifically his back and how much pain he was in during competition and after climbing out. Except Gordon has gone through a transformation the last few years and with how competitive his Hendrick team has been, suddenly it doesn’t appear he’s going anywhere anytime soon.
“I just feel so competitive out there, and that makes me feel young again. I just see how hard these guys are working. It’s making me work harder,” Gordon said on Saturday. “I’ve been really working harder on my fitness, which I think is helping me mentally and physically be more prepared out there. When the cars are that good, my back just doesn’t seem to hurt as much.
“The whole retirement thing I think is thrown out there too much, and I’m probably somewhat to blame, but there’s no secret, I’m going to be 43 this year, but, man, if 43 is like this, I can’t wait for 50. This is all right. I’m having a good time. That’s why I feel young, because I’m just having a great time.”
But …
What if Jeff Gordon goes on to win his fifth title, should he / would you like to see him retire by going out on top?
@John_Sikora my guess is that he will do 1 more year and then give up the seat to Chase Elliott…
@Lance_sells I would like to see that but I can’t see him doing that.
@TomLglEdtr nah, never a huge fan but have developed lots of respect for Jeff over the years. He should race as long as he wants.
@justin24hr as a fan since I was a kid, I’d say that would be a perfect, knowing his retirement is sooner rather than later anyway.
@CraigMintz09 would love to see that! Spend time with his daughter and show her the ropes!
@GERI1324FAN Ummm…pardon the intrusion but who the hell says we have to limit Jeff Gordon to just one more?
@ecfr1978 he’s a company man, he’ll race one more year and then turn his seat over to Chase Elliott no matter what happens, #respect
@jrm1219 he’s earned the right to races as long as he wants & as long as he is competitive could see him race 3 more yr 
@Chase_Wilhelm No better way to go out than on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment